Preparing for a Storm
Storms cause significant damage throughout Australian communities, each year. However, you can take action before, during and after a storm to reduce the impact on your home or business.
Before a Storm
- Clear leaves and debris from gutters, roofs and downpipes at your home or business. Check the roof for leaks and seal them to prevent water from flowing in. Move vehicles under cover when possible, and secure items outside that could be blown about by the wind or carried away in surging water.
- Keep yourself and your family or colleagues safe by ensuring that everyone is familiar with your evacuation plan and knows where first-aid and emergency kits are. Ensure that operational and other data is backed up, and ensure that stock and other key items can be moved if needed.
- Ensure you provide your Account Manager of any major changes that happen within your business so they can make sure that the sum for which you are insured covers the replacement value of the items that you wish to insure.
During a Storm
- Use a battery-powered radio to monitor your local radio station for updates on the weather, power supply, emergency warnings and evacuation alerts. Contact 000 or your local SES in any emergency.
- Stay indoors and away from windows.
- Unplug electrical items, especially computers.
After a Storm
- Do not use damaged electrical outlets. Stay away from fallen power lines and anything that they may be touching. Do not use damaged electrical outlets.
- Do not walk through or drive through flowing water or enter still water of unknown depth.
- Once the danger has passed, take photos of damaged or destroyed items before disposing of them to assist in any insurance claims. Speak to our dedicated Claims Department or your Account Manager to lodge your claim.
As always, please don’t hesitate to get in contact with us on (02) 9587 3500 or firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any questions or need any further advice.